History of muzeum

The Museum of Mazovian Jews is housed in a former synagogue which is often referred to as Plock's minor synagogue. This is so because the city also had its great synagogue-from 1866 until the turn of 1950 and 1951, when it was demolished-located opposite the present-day monument to thirteen Poles executed by the Nazis during the Second World War. The construction of the minor, two-storey, brick synagogue in Kwiatka Street (formerly Szeroka Street) was started in 1822 and finished in the mid-1850s. It ran into serious difficulties from the very beginning; the building was partially situated on Plock's former moat, which resulted in some complications; there were insufficient funds to complete the construction; and the Bishop of Plock opposed it, claiming that the synagogue would be located too close to the cathedral. However, he soon changed his mind. Built in the neoclassical style, the synagogue was frequently renovated, e.g. after the collapse of some parts of the roof in 1863. There were three purposes for which the synagogue was intended; it functioned as a Jewish house of prayer, a school and the seat of Plock's Jewish community authorities. When the Germans invaded P?ock in September 1939, the synagogue became the premises of a Judenrat, i.e. one of the administrative and enforcement bodies established by the Nazi invaders to manage Jewish communities in German-occupied areas. This period in the history of the synagogue was ended on 1 March 1941 by the final liquidation of the Plock ghetto with over 8000 Jewish people residing in it. This was also the end of the world of Plock Jews, which had existed since the beginning of the 13th century. Located at 7 Kwiatka Street, the building itself survived the war, and the Jewish Committee became its owner in 1945. It was the committee's initiative to organise the first post-war meeting of Plock Jews in the former synagogue; the meeting was attended by twenty-two people. In 1949, the Gerszon Dua-Bogen Tailor, Knitting & Hosiery Cooperative was formed in the building. In 1960, the State Treasury became the owner of the building, which was entered in the Register of Historic Monuments two years later. The former synagogue ceased to be used in 1992. At the turn of the 20th and 21st centuries, the building had several owners. The governor of the Province of Plock made it over to the local government of Plock. In 1997, the building became the Jewish community's property again. They sold it back to the Municipality of Plock a year later. When the city council put the building up for sale in 2004, the Plock Synagogue Association was founded; its aim was to establish the Museum of Mazovian Jews in the building. In 2006, the former synagogue was made over to the association for the period of ten years. A decision giving green light for this project was taken in 2007, which made it possible to begin the extensive renovation of the building. Since 15 March 2013, visitors have been able to go to the Museum of Mazovian Jews-which is a part of the Mazovian Museum in Plock-thanks to the Plock Synagogue Association, who collected 1.3 million zlotys for this purpose; an EU subsidy amounting to 7.7 million zlotys; and an agreement on joint financing concluded by the Office of the Marshal of the Mazovian Province and Plock's municipal authorities.